Monday, March 15, 2010

Blog 1: Introduction and Chapter 1: Animal House

The book, Beer and Circus, certainly sheds a new viewpoint on college life. After I read the introduction and the first chapter many thoughts of college life were whirling through my head. Murray Sperber, the author, discusses the four student subcultures that exist in American higher education. He discusses the collegiate, the academic, the vocational and the rebel subcultures. I feel that I fall into the “rebel subculture” because I often reject mainstream culture and I always try my hardest in classes that I enjoy versus classes that I don’t. I can categorize myself into this subculture because it fits my college career pretty closely. I do not see myself in the category of “collegiate subculture” because I do not belong to a fraternity and ESCU is a small university nor would I pick a school because of collegiate athletics. I certainly don’t categorize myself with the “academic culture” because I do not always get the best grades in my general education classes, I just get mediocre grades. Yes, I could do better but I don’t enjoy the classes. However, I have done well in all my classes pertaining to my major; I enjoy these classes, the work, professors and learning. I have worked extremely hard to make sure all my requirements for my major are fulfilled. I can not categorize myself in the “vocational subculture” because I don’t have to work forty hours a week to pay for my college education, nor am I supporting a family. I can clearly state that I do not see the achievement of my degree to be an entrance into the middle class of society. I do work over the summer and this is the first year that I worked while attending college. My job on campus is limited hours and is enjoyable as it is refereeing inter-mural sports. I am not responsible for paying for my education; I do pay for books and some expenses. Therefore, I feel that I am most connected to the “rebel subculture.” “The goal of rebel students in all eras has been self-development, finding their own way through the maze of higher education and into the complexity of adult society. As part of their search for identity, rebel students exhibit a selective studiousness” (Sperber 9).
The first chapter in Beer and Circus, titled, “Animal House” discusses the movie “Animal House” and the influence it had on the collegiate subculture during the late 1970’s. The author discusses how this movie dealt with college life during the 1960’s and how this movie impacted college campuses during the 1970’s. Sperber says that it portrayed 1960’s college life from the viewpoint of the rebel subculture combating the academic subculture. I feel that this movie is still impacting the college campus across America. In today’s “Animal House,” beer cans and kegs are a large part of the décor of college dorms and college houses. Parties of today resemble the movie “Animal House,” as off campus houses have all night parties, students consuming too much alcohol and pranks being played on one another. Drinking and parting is a large part of college life on and off campus throughout the country. Some years back during UCONN spring weekend, furniture was being thrown off balconies and cars were lit on fire, extra patrol was called in and there was no stopping the festivities. One might ask if this was UCONN’s version of “Animal House?’ The movie, “Animal House” has impacted the lives of how college students act today. I think it is safe to say that “Animal House” is still in swing in the year 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment